Mass Vigil & Die In Protest to close Bank Junction
* For Immediate Release *
- When: Monday 29th June. Assembling from 5.30pm; Start 6pm
- Where: In front of The Bank of England, Bank Junction, Threadneedle Street, City of London, EC4N
- What: A Vigil and Die-In to mark the tragic killings of the 7th and 8th people killed while riding bicycles in London in 2015
For the seventh time this year, Stop Killing Cyclists, the cycling activist group, will commemorate cyclists killed while riding their bicycles, with a Vigil and Die-In.
The people being remembered are 60 year old Clifton James who was killed in Harrow after midnight on Sunday 21st and Ying Tao, who died as a result of her bicycle being hit by a lorry at Bank on the morning of Monday 22nd June.
Stop Killing Cyclists co-organiser Nicola Branch said,
“Enough is enough. The City of London and Transport for London must make our streets safer for cyclists and pedestrians. Our protest on Monday is calling on the Mayor to summon an emergency Killer Tipper Truck summit to deal with the plague killing London’s cyclists.”
Our demands include:
1/ Close Bank junction to motorised traffic and make it into a beautiful people friendly square at the heart of the City;
2/ City of London Corporation to drop its long-standing official opposition to protected cycle lanes;
3/ Compulsory CCTV for the left hand side of all Tippers/HGVs to eliminate blind spots – it should not be the responsibility of pedestrians or cyclists to memorise the design defects of dangerous motor vehicles;
4/ Ban on Tipper Trucks in central London during morning and evening rush-hours; and,
5/ TfL and City of London to allocate 10% of transport budget to cycling infrastructure.
Protesters are asked to bring candles and placards.
Press contact: Donnachadh McCarthy on 07947 884299, [email protected]
Release Dated: 25 June 2015
Event Listings (including feeder rides info):
- The Corporation of London has built ZERO physically protected cycle lanes over the last 5 years;
- The London Boroughs including the City of London are responsible for 95% of London’s roads, whereas the London Mayor and TfL control the remaining 5% i.e. the very large arterial routes.
PDF version: 2015_06_24_Bank Vigil and Die-In - press release
Stop Killing Cyclists is the direct action protest group set up in November 2013 after the terrible spate of cyclist killings in London. They arranged the first mass Die-In at TfL HQ where 1,500 cyclists laid down in the road in protest at lack of safety investment in London.
All photos on the website are available for media use (with credit given to the photographer and Stop Killing Cyclists), and representatives are available for interviews and media contact by emailing [email protected] or by calling Donnachadh on 07947 884299