Elephant Draw-In and Die-In
Direct Action Protest
|What:||Direct Action Draw-In and Die-In|
|When:||Wednesday 21st May, 5.30pm - 6.30pm|
|Where:||Southern Roundabout Plaza, Elephant & Castle, London.|
|Bring:||White and Green Chalk.|
To mark yet another unnecessary cycling tragedy at the Elephant & Castle and to protest at the continued total failure by Southwark Council and TfL to install emergency protected by-passes at dangerous junctions across London such as the Elephant, we will draw in Green and White Chalk the protected cycle-lane that Southwark and TfL should be installing immediately.
We will also stage a die-in with our bodies and bikes along the route of the urgently necessary cycle-lane.
The Facebook event page is at: Stop Killing Cyclists – Direct Action Elephant & Castle
Stop Killing Cyclists co-founder Donnachadh McCarthy said:
“The carnage from trucks horrendously killing cyclists at Left-Hand-Turns has got to stop. Southwark, TfL and the other London Boroughs need to urgently install safe protected turns at junctions across London urgently, where there is sufficient space for pedestrians and cyclists.“
“Stop Killing Cyclists are so frustrated at the lack of action, that we will ourselves on Wednesday draw in green and white chalk the route of a protected junction cycle by-pass that Southwark and TfL lethally left out of the recent multi-million refurbishment of the southern Elephant junction.
Alongside the chalked cycle-lane, we will also stage a Die-In to represent the hundreds of London pedestrians and cyclists being killed unnecessarily on our City’s roads. We welcome all road users to the protest.“
RSVP: [email protected] or 07947 884299
Note to editors:
1. Stop Killing Cyclists is the direct action protest group set up after the recent spate of cyclist killings in London. They arranged the mass Die-In at TfL HQ where 1,500 cyclists lay down in the road in protest at lack of safety investment in London.
2. The London Boroughs including Southwark are responsible for 95% of London’s roads, whereas the London Mayor and TfL control the remaining 5% i.e. the very large arterial routes.
3. Southwark Council has not installed a single meter of segregated cycle-lane in the 3 years since their Head of Planning, Simon Bevan announced a policy of using cyclists to slow the traffic.
4. The link to the Facebook event is: https://www.facebook.com/events/246342555567982/
5. The link to the direct action information page is: http://StopTheKilling.org.uk/Elephant