When: 6-6.30 pm Tuesday 11th February.
Where: Redbridge Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, IG1 1DD
Feeder Ride: Leaves from front of Kings Cross Station at 4.30pm
Trains from Central London: Liverpool Street Station
Please bring candles and placards.
What: A peaceful candlelit vigil to mark the first tragic killing of a cyclist in 2014.
Redbridge Council has so far refused to introduce a borough-wide 20mph speed limit. Traffic at 20mph kills up to 42% less pedestrians and cyclists than at 30 mph.
Redbridge Council has set derisory targets of 1.5% of journeys to be undertaken by bike by 2015 and 4% by 2025. In comparison many modern European cities have already achieved between 20 to 50% of journeys undertaken by bike. Currently only 1.2% of journeys in the borough are taken by bike.
Stop Killing Cyclists Co-founder Donnachadh McCarthy said “Redbridge Council needs to immediately protect its pedestrians and cyclists by introducing a safe, borough wide 20mph zone and to invest with the Mayor in London in a comprehensive borough wide segregated cycle network within 5 years.“
He added: “Last year 93 people’s lives were destroyed with 4 killed and 89 seriously injured on Redbridge’s streets, with hundreds more dying of transport pollution associated lung and heart diseases, and countless more from obesity related illnesses from lack of exercise due to fear of cycling. We want an end to the killing and maiming on Redbridge’s streets. “
RSVP: email@example.com or 07947 884299
Note to editors:
1. Stop Killing Cyclists is the direct action protest group set up after the recent spate of cyclist killings in London. They arranged the mass Die-In at TfL HQ where 1,500 cyclists lay down in the road in protest at the lack of safety investment in London.
2. The London boroughs are responsible for 95% of London’s roads, whereas the London Mayor and TfL control the remaining 5%, i.e. the large arterial routes.